The church of the Holy Apostle Philip is situated on Adrianou Street, opposite the entrance to the archaeological site of the Ancient Agora. It was built in 1866 on the remains of an older one which underwent a massive attack during the siege of the city of Athens (1826 – 1827) and had dated back to the 9th century. The writings and drawings of various travellers give a lot of information about the original church. It was a three-aisled timber-roofed basilica which had been built on the site of one of the main ancient roads that was used for the transfer of the agricultural products to the Ancient Agora (market).
The church of Saint Philip suffered from several damages as the years passed by, and in the year 1961 a major restoration of the church building took place. This restoration included the removal of all modern interventions and the return of the church building to its original basilica form.
The iconostasis and the Bishop’s throne are wood-carved and date back to 1842, while one can also admire a large selection of beautiful icons of the 19th century. They don’t all belong to one single artist and they are very colourful, with influences from both the greek popular art and the western religious art of the 19th century.